The Sudbury Water Tower Redevelopment Project will offer advertisers with the most visible venue in the City. Various opportunities are available.
The Sudbury Pearl St. Water Tower was designed and built by Horton Steel Works Limited, Fort Erie (Now Niagara Energy) between 1953 and 1956. The Pearl St. water tower has a capacity of 1,000,000 imperial gallons. It was decommissioned in 1998 by the Sudbury City Council several months after the Minnow Lake water reservoir was installed which hold approximately 8,000,000 gallons of water.
The council was approached by Westar Investments in October 2003 to sell the properties. Westar pursued the sale over a two year period with the council. Hurdles the council had to overcome included making the towers surplus to requirements, resolving land title issues, road allowances and assessing easement requirements for third parties. After Several By-Laws the tower was finally advertised in the Sudbury Star for sale by tender on the 18th of January 2006 with bids closing on the 31st January 2006. Westar’s bid was accepted and final sale contracts signed on the 2nd Feb 2006. The sale contract was ratified by the Sudbury town planning committee on the 14th February 2006 with final council approval given on the 22nd February under By-Law 2006-35. In June 2006, Westar received city approval to convert the tower into commercial office space, banquet facilities and a restaurant. In 2008 Westar revised its application to allow for several storeys of condominiums, below the tank, with commercial office space, banquet facilities and a restaurant built into the tank for a total of 10 storeys of development. Unable to secure financing, an application for demolition was made in November 2009. On February 26th, 2010, Media Environmental Group Service approached Westar Investments to purchase the property. Purchase was contingent on a rezoning application approval. On April 1st, Media submitted an application for re-zoning. On May 26th, 2010, Media received in writing that By-laws 2010-80Z, and 2010 82Z were passed by City Council on the 28th day of April, 2010. The proposed application gives permission to convert the Pearl Street abandoned water tower into residential dwelling units, commercial office space, banquet facilities and a restaurant. The proposal also calls for the establishment of twelve advertising ‘Artboards’ to be leased by a variety of advertisers. The billboards will measure 20 feet by 32 feet and will be permitted in conjunction with the commercial space.